Frankston’s beautiful beaches attract over one million visitors a year for recreation, swimming and wellbeing. They are Frankston’s number one natural asset.
- Frankston Council plans is to build a breakwater off Olivers Hill, “a rock wall with a road on top for emergency vehicle access” jutting way out into the bay, costing many millions of dollars.
- The project is being undertaken without adequate studies over sufficient time to ascertain the full impact of littoral drift and other changes to Frankston, Daveys Bay and Seaford beaches. Expert coastal scientific and engineering opinion is that physical and computer modelling is needed over MANY SEASONS, not mere WEEKS for the hydrographic survey planned by Council.
- THE PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE MUST BE ADOPTED. Council must undertake every necessary professional study to ensure the ongoing viability and protection of the marine environment, ecosystems, coastal processes, cultural and heritage values, aesthetics, vistas, recreation, tourism and water based activities
- Other bay beaches have been damaged by construction of breakwaters including Sandringham, Brighton, Hampton and Middle Park. We must learn from the mistakes made by other Councils.
- Frankston ratepayers will not be willing to bear ongoing costs for sand replenishment and beach rejuvenation.
- If beaches are damaged, it is Frankston Council that will be held accountable.
Please join with FBA-the 30 year protectors of Frankston’s beaches- in telling the CEO, Mayor and Councillors WE SAY NO TO THE BREAKWATER at least until proper coastal scientific and engineering processes and physical modelling data show unequivocally that Frankston beach environments will be unspoilt.
Please sign our petition here today.
CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESSES
FRANKSTON CITY COUNCIL
Frankston Council CEO Mr Dennis Hovenden firstname.lastname@example.org
Group email for councillors: email@example.com
Individual emails for councillors:
Mayor Cr Colin Hampton firstname.lastname@example.org
Deputy Mayor Cr Lillian O’Connor email@example.com
Cr Brian Cunial firstname.lastname@example.org
Cr Quinn McCormack email@example.com/gov.au
Cr Steve Toms firstname.lastname@example.org
Cr Sandra Mayer email@example.com
Cr Glenn Aitken firstname.lastname@example.org
Cr Michael O’Reilly email@example.com
Cr Chris Bolam firstname.lastname@example.org
MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT
Mr Chris Crewther MHR email@example.com
Mr Paul Edbrooke MLA firstname.lastname@example.org