Frankston’s beautiful beaches attract over one million visitors a year for recreation, swimming and wellbeing. They are Frankston’s number one natural asset.
- Frankston Council plans is to build a breakwater off Olivers Hill, “a rock wall with a road on top for emergency vehicle access” jutting way out into the bay, costing many millions of dollars.
- The project is being undertaken without adequate studies over sufficient time to ascertain the full impact of littoral drift and other changes to Frankston, Daveys Bay and Seaford beaches. Expert coastal scientific and engineering opinion is that physical and computer modelling is needed over MANY SEASONS, not mere WEEKS for the hydrographic survey planned by Council.
- THE PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE MUST BE ADOPTED. Council must undertake every necessary professional study to ensure the ongoing viability and protection of the marine environment, ecosystems, coastal processes, cultural and heritage values, aesthetics, vistas, recreation, tourism and water based activities
- Other bay beaches have been damaged by construction of breakwaters including Sandringham, Brighton, Hampton and Middle Park. We must learn from the mistakes made by other Councils.
- Frankston ratepayers will not be willing to bear ongoing costs for sand replenishment and beach rejuvenation.
- If beaches are damaged, it is Frankston Council that will be held accountable.
Please join with FBA-the 30 year protectors of Frankston’s beaches- in telling the CEO, Mayor and Councillors WE SAY NO TO THE BREAKWATER at least until proper coastal scientific and engineering processes and physical modelling data show unequivocally that Frankston beach environments will be unspoilt.
Please sign our petition here today.
CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESSES
FRANKSTON CITY COUNCIL
Frankston Council CEO Mr Dennis Hovenden email@example.com
Group email for councillors: firstname.lastname@example.org
Individual emails for councillors:
Mayor Cr Colin Hampton email@example.com
Deputy Mayor Cr Lillian O’Connor firstname.lastname@example.org
Cr Brian Cunial email@example.com
Cr Quinn McCormack firstname.lastname@example.org/gov.au
Cr Steve Toms email@example.com
Cr Sandra Mayer firstname.lastname@example.org
Cr Glenn Aitken email@example.com
Cr Michael O’Reilly firstname.lastname@example.org
Cr Chris Bolam email@example.com
MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT
Mr Chris Crewther MHR firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Paul Edbrooke MLA email@example.com